Sunday, January 3, 2010

January 3 - "Ms. Rhinebeck's Announcement"

A classroom. A class rehearses “Grease.”

STUDENT #1
Hey Doodie, where’d you get the guitar?

Bell rings.

MS. RHINEBECK
Okay everyone, good work today. Michael, do you think we need to do a line-through tonight?

MICHAEL
Your call, Ms. Rhinebeck.

MS. RHINEBECK
Let’s have a line-through at seven-thirty in the auditorium. Oh, and before you all go, I have an announcement. Maureen has a boyfriend. That’s right, MAUREEN has a boyfriend!

Everyone gasps. Some people cheer.

MS. RHINEBECK
I know, right? It feels like just yesterday that she was makin’ out in the prop room with Marko.

Everyone gasps.

MS. RHINEBECK
Oh fuck, that was a secret!

MARKO
Hey, you know why it feels like last week? Because it WAS last week. What the hell, Maureen? I thought we had a thing goin’ on.

MAUREEN
I found someone who loves and cares about me.

MS. RHINEBECK
And his name, we have learned, is Benny. Just like in “Rent.” Oh my, how fitting!

MARKO
You’re a dick, Maureen. I should have known.

MARKO exits, followed by MS. RHINEBECK and the rest of the class.

MAUREEN
Well, I’m glad I know enough about that cunt to get her fired if I need to. That was incredibly rude.

MICHAEL
Even worse? You know why we’re doing the line-through tonight?

MAUREEN
Why?

MICHAEL
To prevent you from seeing him.

MAUREEN
That cunt! I’ll show her. (MAUREEN pulls out her cell phone, dials.) Hey, sweetie, wanna come to rehearsal tonight?

Blackout.

No comments: