Sunday, January 3, 2010

January 2 - "A Swift Goodbye"

JIM and KATTRYN at a cafe on the Upper East Side.

JIM
...and that’s why I think it’s best that we don’t talk anymore.

A beat.

KATTRYN
You’re kidding, right?

JIM
Kat, were you not just listening to what I said? I’m in love with you.

KATTRYN
I see that.

JIM
And you just got back from your honeymoon.

KATTRYN
I know.

JIM
And this doesn’t bother you? At all?

KATTRYN
Jim, you’re my best friend. I’m not letting you not talk to me.

JIM
I need to do this.

KATTRYN
No you don’t. You’re being entirely unreasonable.

JIM
I am in love with you, Kattryn. You don’t see the problem here?

KATTRYN
It’ll pass. I’m not worried.

JIM
(suddenly serious)
I have to stop talking to you.

A beat.

KATTRYN
Oh God, you’re serious, aren’t you?

JIM
If only for a time.

KATTRYN
This is fucking cruel, James. I’ve never, EVER, done something like this to you.

JIM
You got married.

A beat.

KATTRYN
So what is this, then? Farewell to the best friend I’ve had since elementary school?

JIM
Just for a time.

KATTRYN
I don’t know how I’m going to deal with this.

JIM
You have Eliot.

KATTRYN
Eliot’s not a best friend, though. Look, how ‘bout this? How about we do a weekly email to one another. Every Friday.

A beat.

JIM
Fine.

KATTRYN
Good. (A beat.) I’ll miss you.
The lights slowly fade.

No comments: